Friday, September 4, 2009

Is that really what she said?

Who hasn't been caught in a valet only parking situation when you don't have any cash on you. I know I have.

Now I am usually, I think, pretty generous with tips, but on at least one occasion in a society, which lets be honest does not encourage the use of cash, I have been caught without cash and unable to tip a valet. I can only hope that no one has ever done to me what I witnessed someone do recently.

I was out with a group of people and at the end of the evening we were standing in line waiting for our cars to be pulled around when a friend confided to me that he didn't have any cash. Unfortunately, I had only enough cash to tip the valet myself and was unable to lend him any. Embarrassed that the people we were with would think badly of him for not tipping, he tried to be extremely discreet in getting in the car when the rest of the people in our group were in a conversation and not paying attention. Unfortunately, someone in the group not only noticed, but broadcasted to the entire group with an air of incredulity that he had not tipped the valet. And she didn't just say it once, but repeated it several times to ensure everyone heard it. To make matters worse, as the door to the vehicle had not yet been closed, there was no way he didn't hear her out him in front of the whole group.

Was that really necessary? Especially considering that she (as opposed to several others in the group) knew the guy well enough to know that this was not his usual M.O. What purpose did that serve and who would do that to someone they supposedly consider a friend.

1 comment:

  1. That was foul. Whenever I see a situation like that I remember what comes around goes around.

    ReplyDelete